Sunday, March 18, 2007

Connection

Someone I met this morning was in a car accident on his way to the conference yesterday. He lost control on an icy highway and by the time he came to a stop the airbags had deployed and he had spun into the jersey barrier three times. He walked away shaken, but ok. His car is a wreck.

He related this to us at breakfast this morning. He wanted to be home. We worried about him having to drive his rental all the way back to Connecticut. We wondered whether we should drive him. No, he said. I'll be ok.

But during the Eucharist he was weeping. I don't know why. Fear. Sadness. Anger. Relief. Gratitude? I went over and stood behind him during the offertory and laid my hands on his shoulders and held him for a moment,

Praying to God in thanks and praise.

No comments: