Friday, September 15, 2006

Brushes with greatness

The RevGals Friday Five is about meeting famous people. Here are my answers:

1. Tell us about a time you met someone famous.

I didn't actually meet him, but once I tried out for David Letterman's stupid pet tricks. I had a rabbit that could pull a man out of a hat. To get to the audition, I put the bunny in a pet carrier and took a cab across manhattan. By the time we got there, she was understandably freaked out. Then, a studio full of dogs and cats didn't help matters at all. The producer was very nice about it, until Bunny pissed all over her. At which point it became clear that we were NOT going to get famous on David Letterman. Lost dreams. Alas.

Other celebs: I ordered lunch for Joan Armatrading when she was playing at the theatre I worked for. Marcel Marceau. (Didn't say much.) , Anna Moffa, and most recently I met Thomas Keating at a lecture at Brown. Oh, and I met Vincent Price back stage at my college theater. He wanted to know if it hurt when I got my nose pierced, and what did I do when I needed to blow my nose. Like I hadn't been asked those questions 1100 times before. He was actually really nice, though.

2. Tell us about a celebrity you'd like to meet.

Dave Matthews. Seriously. Mostly just to oggle.

Who I'd like to sit down and have dinner with is Jimmy Carter. I think he would be amazing to talk with.

3. Tell us about someone great who's *not* famous that you think everyone oughta have a chance to meet.

I met a nun, once, when I was 16. Yes I had the pierced nose. And the safety pins in my ears. And she saw right through that and talked to me like the searching soul I was. I have never forgotten her.

4. Do you have any autographs of famous people?

I used to have a letter from Farley Mowat, the Canadian author. And I got Marcel Marceau's autograph, too.

5. If you were to become famous, what would you want to become famous for?

I don't want to be famous anymore. It used to be my big goal, but not anymore. But if I was going to be famous, it might be as the mother of most fabulous (and handsome) kids ever.

No comments: