Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Backup

The cesspool guy was flirting with me.

First, he commented on my hair.

"I love your hair" he said. "Is that your natural color?"

I said yes, it was, and joked that I have my grandmother to thank for it.

"A lot of people would pay big money for hair like that."

I probably smiled. Secretly, I believe that my hair is one of my best assets.

I moved the toys that were strewn about on the driveway so he could back the big truck in.

Our toilet overflowed earlier today so I had called Nguyen, who came home and announced we needed to get pumped out.

I made a call to the cesspool people. The receptionist told me that they would be out this afternoon.

"Plug your nose" the guy said as he fastened the hoses together. "It gets pretty bad when I turn the pump on."

I went in the house to get a check and when I came out, he pointedly asked me

"how is your husband?"

I didn't recognize the question for what it was until after I said "fine" and then went on to tell him that Nguyen is doing well and still working with Ed, the cesspool service owner's cousin. (This is RI after all. You would never call a complete stranger to pump the crap out of your cesspool.) When he said didn't know who Ed was, I suddenly realized that he was, in fact, trying to ascertain my marital status.

"I have to go" I said, handing him the check.

And ran in the house to call my husband.

"Guess what?" I said. "The cesspool guy was flirting with me."

"Did he empty out the cesspool?" Nguyen asked

"Yes," I laughed.

"Ok, then," he said.

I was kind of relieved when the truck pulled away. The truth is, I don't really know how to respond when strangers flirt, and actually find it a little threatening.

No comments: