Sunday, August 27, 2006

Fire and Brimstone

I stood at the lecturn this morning and was reading today's Old Testament reading when suddenly I felt all fire and brimstoney. I began to feel the words I was saying. My voice rose. I became emphatic. I paused and looked at the congregants in front of me. I could taste the poetry of the word of God in my mouth. It became huge. I wanted, for some reason, to shout.

I didn't. We are Episcopalians after all. I didn't want to scare anyone.

But for that brief time at the lecturn, I felt the power of the Holy Spirit speaking through my mouth.

Can I hear an amen, Brother?

3 comments:

Nancy said...

AMEN! That's awesome Rachel. There is power in the spoken Word and it's really cool that sometimes we get to experience that.

Rachel Nguyen said...

It's true, Nancy. And the funny thing is that people in the pews felt it too. A whole bunch of people commented on it after the service.

Susannah said...

Let it flow, sister! Quench not the Spirit.