Monday, March 20, 2006

68 Days

Today I finished the Hebrew Scriptures. It is day 68 of a 'Bible in 90 days' reading program and I couldn't be more excited about it. It is true that much of it sped by so fast it was sort of a blur. I remember that Judges was a time without a king in Israel. I remember that Judah and Israel split into two nations... and that they eventually reunited. I remember certain images or stories... but probably couldn't tell you what book those stories happened in. (Where WAS the talking donkey, anyway?!)

But something of it sunk in as I read. If not the details, the essence of it seemed to reveal itself to me. I learned something about being in relationship with God. I appreciated the struggles, the constant backsliding, the outright rebellion. I could personally relate to some of that stuff. What comes across, even more powerfully than God's impatience... is his patience. He is a faithful God.

I am excited I finished the Hebrew Scriptures. I will go back, at some point, and read them with more attention to detail... more eye towards understanding their context and subtexts, but for now, it is done.

On to the New Testament. YES!

No comments: