Friday, June 01, 2007

Hopes and Dreams

As it is graduation season, the RevGalBlogPals are doing a Friday Five on hopes and dreams for the future. From the past. In the present.

Here it is!

1. Think back to the time you left High School, what were your hopes visions and dreams for your life/ for the world?

I wanted to move to Japan and teach English to the children of rich business men. I also wanted to be a filmmaker.

2. Have those hopes visions and dreams changed a lot, or are some of them still alive and kicking? (share one if you can)

LOL, none of those dreams panned out, and really, none of them have survived. My interest in things Japanese faded after a disastrous semester studying the language at the University of Hawaii. And filmmaking, by necessity, took a back seat to earning money. I never really did understand the eyeline match, anyway. I would have ended up making weird western Ozu-like films that no one would have wanted to see.

3. Hebrews 11:1 " Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. " Comforting, challenging or frustrating?

I really have no clue what the first part of that quote means. How does something that is hoped for have substance? The second part is pretty challenging, too, as it is very difficult to find evidence for that which isn't seen.

4. If resources were unlimited, and you had free reign to pursue a vision what would it be?

My answer to this has changed dramatically over the years! Today, I believe it would be to organize some kind of worldwide program for kids of all faiths to get together and build relationships. I think that might just be the hope of the world. In a small way, my church is already doing this and I think that it is kind of a miracle.

5. Finally with summer upon us- and not to make this too heavy- share your dream holiday....where, when and who with...

I dream of going to the Holy Lands.

Really, I have to say, though, that the biggest of my lifelong dreams was to find joy. And that has been achieved, in spades.

Thanks be to God.

1 comment:

Terri said...

I like the idea about organizing our kids world wide to know one another. It is all about relationship(s) I think...thanks for playing!