Saturday, February 11, 2006

Psalms

I'll say it again: reading the psalms in context is a completely different experience.

I have read the psalms several times. The Episcopal Book of Common prayer has them conveniently laid out as morning and evening prayers over the course of a month and I have read them several times in the last year or so. I have used several different translations, too. I even did some as plainchant, since I have a prayerbook with the music included. I love the psalms. I find deep meaning in them. Once, as an exercise, my director suggested I read the same psalms every day for 3 months. I chose three and read them over and over again. It was a wonderful exploration.

But I have never before read the psalms in the context of King David's experiences. It is really powerful. They are beautiful.

Also, I never noticed that the later psalms are attributed to Asaph. And indeed, they sound different. They have a different 'voice'.

It is interesting to contrast the experience of reading the same psalm daily for 3 months with reading the entire psalter over the matter of a couple of days. I would have thought that the speed reading version would be less satisfying, but instead I am finding it deeply moving. I know, like Job, I will need to go back again and reread it. But in the mean time, I am blown away.

Love+
Rachel

Psalm 67

Psa 67:1 To the choirmaster: with stringed instruments. A Psalm. A Song.

May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face to shine upon us, [Selah]
Psa 67:2 that thy way may be known upon earth, thy saving power among all nations.
Psa 67:3 Let the peoples praise thee, O God; let all the peoples praise thee!
Psa 67:4 Let the nations be glad and sing for joy, for thou dost judge the peoples with equity and guide the nations upon earth. [Selah]
Psa 67:5 Let the peoples praise thee, O God; let all the peoples praise thee!
Psa 67:6 The earth has yielded its increase; God, our God, has blessed us.
Psa 67:7 God has blessed us; let all the ends of the earth fear him!


I praise thee, Beloved.

No comments: