Tuesday, February 28, 2006

And so it begins...

I am standing in the produce aisle at the grocery store and I feel my eyes welling up with tears. I know it is ridiculous, but I have an overwhelming desire to fall to my knees in the middle of Shaw's and just thank God for Jesus. I resist the urge and pretend to be looking at apples. But really, I want to fall down and pray.

(Given my bum knee, I would have had to lay flat out on the floor. I wonder if they would have dragged me out. Or called an ambulance.)

It all started with playing the Messiah in the car. I chose, of course, the Easter section of the Bernstein version. Behold the Lamb of God: the Savior of the World, it begins.... I had a hard time leaving the car at all, wanting, instead, to sit and listen to the entire score. But the groceries beckoned and that is when I found myself weeping in the produce aisle.

And Lent hasn't even officially begun yet.

1 comment:

Jennifer Garrison Brownell said...

Rachel,
thanks for reminding me of all that I have treasured about Lent in the past. I'm coming into this one tired and kind of stressed about a lot of "things to do" and you reminded me what it's for. -By which I mean, weeping in the grocery store, of course :)
I'm always inspired by your prayers, and my hope for this Lent is to pray more "out loud" even if it's just in the blogosphere.
Blessings and gratitude,
Jennifer