Thursday, August 30, 2007

Today is the day

The kids started school this morning. They were probably the only kids in line with their old sneakers on, and I immediately felt like a bad mom. Next year I bite the bullet and get them shiny new shoes for their first day of school.

It is 9:48 and I have hours before the bell rings again. I made a leisurely breakfast. (An omlett, if you must know, with cheese and left over mexican style pulled pork and some Frank's Red Hot for good measure. And coffee.)

The house is a wreck. There is clutter and blobs of rabbit fur and now big clumps of dog hair because we are keeping my brother's 15 year old golden/Shepard mix while he is in Africa. So vacuuming is one of the first orders of business.

Then, grocery shopping alone.

Then, a nap.

Or lunch.

Or lunch and a nap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My kids were there in their dusty old sandals they have worn all summer- without another pair of decent footwear even flitting into my mind until last night! We will be out shopping today to secure a few pairs of athletic sneakers before we incur the wrath of the PhysEd teacher. Yikes!

Rachel Nguyen said...

Ha!

I am so glad I am not the only one.

I tried to console the kids by:

1. promising that since we are shopping the sales, we can get fancier sneakers than we normally would buy.

2. Next week when all their friends new sneaks will be scuffed and stained already, theirs will be shiny new.

Cheesy attempts to justify my negligence, I know.