Sunday, August 26, 2007

August and everything after

I facilitated a retreat for the healing ministry team from Grace yesterday. I felt led by the Holy Spirit, and it felt so safe. At some point I realized that if I tried to do it all myself, I would mess it up, so I went to the bathroom and got on my knees and invited God to take over. Pinch hit, if you will.

Well, God came through, in spades. The day flowed. We worshiped and praised God together. We prayed for healing for each other. We broke bread and drank wine and celebrated the joy that God has given us. It was a remarkable day.

The presence of the Holy Spirit always leaves me feeling slightly exhausted and vulnerable afterwards, though. Is it that way for you?

Last night, my brother came by for dinner, before getting on a plane to Namibia today. And I found out my dear great aunt Ally died this week.

We dropped my brother off at the airport this morning. He even allowed me to hold his hands and pray for him before he got on the plane. Right in front of all the passersby. He was probably mortified. But he is learning to indulge me in these things, and is maybe even a little grateful that I seem to have enough faith for both of us.

In church, today, I was a bit of a mess, weeping and praying. So much joy and loss and concern all rolled into one long weekend. After the service I snuck back to the robing room and cornered Fr. Rich and asked him to pray over me.

Then I went home and slept for hours.

Beloved God,

I praise you, the almighty, great Lover of our souls.

I pray for my aunt Ally, may she rest in your eternal peace.

I give you my brother. Let him be a light in the lives of those he encounters in his travels. Keep him safe. Let him return to us healthy and safe.

And Lord, if you would have me be a healer, give me the strength and courage to do as you will.

I ask all this in Jesus' name.

Amen.

5 comments:

Brother Marty said...

Bless you for your facilitation. Our God is an awesome God.

It is often wondrous as to whether others perceive the workings of the Holy Spirit...but still worth pursuing.

May God's healing mercies bless all that you do!

Rachel Nguyen said...

Welcome to the Big Dunk, Brother Marty! I stopped over at your place and feel like we have some things in common. I am adding you to my blogroll, brother.

Blessings,

Rachel

Mary Beth said...

Wow. I bet you DID sleep. Sounds like powerful work going on in you.

love ya

Episcopollyanna said...

Hello -
You have a really lovely blog. I've been reading it for a while but this is my first comment.

I too have the same feeling of exhaustion and vulnerability after being in the presence of the Holy Spirit.

Anyway, I had to pick 7 blogs I liked for the "nice matters award" and I read yours regularly and chose you. Take care and God bless.

Rachel Nguyen said...

Episcopollyanna, I am really excited to be tagged for the 'Nice Matters' award!

And I am so glad you commented so I could cruise over and check out your place. It is lovely!

Welcome to the 'Dunk!