Monday, December 18, 2006

'If it wasn't screwed on' department...

For the past two months we have been planning to go to Newfoundland for Christmas.

When are you leaving? Folks would ask.

We are heading out the Thursday before Christmas and coming back the Thursday after Christmas, I'd reply.

Except we aren't.

I finally printed down our itinerary this morning and realized that we are, in fact, scheduled to fly out on Friday. In a minor panic, I called my step mother to let her know that I was off by a day.

I knew that, she said.

So how did I mess it up, I wonder? I joke about early onset dementia, but really, I have found that I am much more flaky lately than I used to be. Is it age? Or am I just in la la land all the time? I have a calendar, and actually write things in it. But somehow that doesn't seem to help me to register that I have committed to be somewhere or do something.

Luckily for me, I caught this in time and we had a great chuckle about it. But I can tell you right now, if we had showed up at Logan Airport a day early... well, let's just say I don't think Nguyen and the kids would have found the humor in it.

No comments: