Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Blessed

Are the pure of heart, for they will see God.

We read the Beatitudes in bible study today and I just sopped them up like a roll in tomato sauce. I love that Matthew quotes the Big Guy so much. It is wonderful to hear things straight from the source.

In my bible (Oxford NRSV Study with Apocrypha) it defines 'blessed' as 'Happy. Satisfied.' Jesus is right that I would be happy to see God, even if, as the Hebrews believed, I would be immolated on the spot.

But what I take this line to mean is that if you are pure of heart, meaning no hidden agendas, no resentments, no unspoken motivations, then you see God everywhere you look. You see him in every person, every situation, every experience.



Mat 5:3 Blessed [are] the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:4 Blessed [are] they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
Mat 5:5 Blessed [are] the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Mat 5:6 Blessed [are] they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Mat 5:7 Blessed [are] the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Mat 5:8 Blessed [are] the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Mat 5:9 Blessed [are] the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Mat 5:10 Blessed [are] they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:11 Blessed are ye, when [men] shall revile you, and persecute [you], and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
Mat 5:12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great [is] your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.


Beloved God,

Today I offer myself to you. I am poor in spirit. I know nothing of you. Let me be open to the movements of your spirit in the world and in my heart.

In my prayers are Fr. Rich as he travels this week. And the man who joined us at bible study today, who is about to be received into the Anglican church. And all of us who need your healing love.

No comments: