Friday, April 25, 2008

Silly

I am not sure why, but for the last couple of days I have been finding myself completely hilarious.

Yesterday at lunch, I told my brother that we are having our house connected to the town sewers. So, after 81 years, the cesspool is closed for business.

"Just think, Jake, next time you have to throw up in our toilet, it will go down in one flush..."

Except that I was laughing so hard at my own joke he couldn't understand what I was trying to say. And I had a mouthful of roast beef sandwich and nearly choked to death. I was referencing, of course, a past incident that involved my brother and an apparently too strong marguerita.

My brother didn't find my little joke nearly as funny as I did, even when I was able to stop laughing long enough to tell him.

Today, another incident.

I was walking through Walmart (that in itself is embarrassing, but not that funny...) when suddenly I thought about a conversation I had with a friend and had an idea to make him a funny tee-shirt in response. I found my idea so utterly hysterical I started laughing out loud in the store. Like, almost pee my pants kind of laughing. Like they might have to call the guys in white coats kind of laughing.

I finally managed to pull myself together, but would periodically think about it again and just lose it. In the paper towel aisle, men's tee shirts, arts and crafts.

Everywhere I went, I left a trail of housewives, old women and stock clerks who must have thought I had forgotten to take my medication.

I have heard that sometimes people laugh during Pentecostal services at church. Holy laughter, they call it. I don't think the Holy Spirit has anything to do with my current silliness. But dang, I sure am keeping myself amused.

7 comments:

John Michael Keba said...

I don't laugh much (bet that doesn't surprise you), but it seems I smile more now.

My friends find this unnerving. :-)

Rachel Nguyen said...

It's a start!

I fear if you hung around with me long enough you'd find it difficult to maintain that whole 'sober Christian' thing.

Once, I was walking along with some friends and was laughing so hard I literally collapsed against a restaurant window. The couple having dinner on the other side of the glass thought for a moment that I needed an ambulance.

Anonymous said...

I spontaneously crack myself up everyday. I consider that my most precious gift...

Rachel said...

who says its not the Holy Spirit? If we were all so connected to the delight that God takes in us. Ahhhh.

jadedjabber said...

This is absolutely hilarious. I know the feeling. People often give me strange looks

Mary Beth said...

it is a gift indeed. you keep on laughing!

Judy Vaughan-Sterling said...

God laughs all day long. It's His most endearing trait!